Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Knitting for Knitting's Sake

One thing you should know about me is that I am disabled. I have transformed migraine, which mean I get several days of migraines each week, along with other less well known symptoms. This makes it very hard to have much of a social life.

So at this point in my life, I am very much a homebody. Fortunately, I am not the sort to get lonely when I spend a lot time by myself. But I can get bored. Knitting is a perfect hobby for a "shut-in," and is definitely not boring.

I already had a new pattern picked out for the next time I would be able to go to a class: A chemo cap, for my close friend being treated for breast cancer (she is on the mend, now). But for a hat, I needed help learning how to use circular needles. Because of my headaches, I often had to miss my knitting class at the Adult Education center. In fact, I missed week after week.

But in the meantime, I wanted to knit. I was shocked at how much I missed having a project to be working on. I wanted a really easy project, so that I just had something to knit for the sake of knitting,  but also something didn't require much counting, and was limited to purl and knit stitches. I Googled and searched, and then I found the perfect project for the painfully new knitter, titled tellingly: Easy Dish Rag.  I then realized I didn't even have the right type of yarn to make a dishrag, cotton. I decided to go ahead and make the dish cloth anyway, just because I wanted something to do, even though it wouldn't be useful. So I used the yarn I had bought just to have some yarn around: Lionbrand Amazing Yarn, in the colorway Olympia.

It was just a stockinette cloth with a garter stitch border, but it still took me a couple of days at that point.


I realized wash clothes were a good way to teach myself new things, because they are so varied, but are relatively quick to knit. And each time I finished a dish cloth, I knew something new about knitting. I like to try something new for each project, whether it was it is a type of stitch, a weight of yarn, or a tool.

What I had learned from the above project was that cotton was a must for dish and face clothes. So I ventured to a nearby LYS, that unfortunately, has since become online-only store, Bobbin's Nest. It was the first time I had seen a yarn and needle crafts store other than the two aisles at Michael's. The first time I went was when I had purchased the Berocco yarn for the scarf in the previous post. I went a bit crazy, I bought needles galore; I also bought some "notions," which have become a real weakness of mine.

I figured I wasn't really ready for nice yarn, and was going to "ruin" it anyway. At that point, I knew nothing about frogging. I  bought a few inexpensive,  rather boring yarns, and a bunch of cotton yarn that was on massive sale. I didn't know anything about yarn at that point (and I don't really know that much more, now). I didn't really know what I was looking for, other than cotton for the dish clothes. I wanted what I considered a good assortment of yarns to try on different projects. But I had no idea what I was doing. At that point, I actually thought that Aran always meant cotton.

The next project I made was fun. I have a French Bulldog, and found a washcloth with a pattern that forms a Frenchie face. Every row was different, and I was still pretty slow, but I got to try out my new row counter. 


The yarn I used was Jil Eaton Cottontail, in the colorway Azure. Cotton Aran. This is where I got the idea that Aran = Cotton. I'm still barely starting to figure out all sorts of really basic stuff!

This period during which I really wanted to knit, but was not able to make it to class, I produced a lot of wash clothes. I next did a pattern that was supposed to resemble a weave stitch.  This pattern is Simple Weave Waschcloth, was also done in Jil Eaton Cottontail, but this time the colorway is Blush:


I actually use this one a lot, it is a nice texture for a facecloth. But the washcloth pattern that has become my go-to "I want something easy to knit" pattern is the apparently hugely popular Grandmother's Favorite Dishcloth.



The lighting is awful, but the top and bottom colorway is Azure, and the color that looks yellow is actually Blush. The variegated yarn is a different brand, Lily Sugar 'n Cream in the Batik colorway.

This was my first pattern that had increases and decreases, and the eyelets were the closest thing to lace that I had managed to knit. I had already struggled with a couple of different lace or lace-type patterns. I have a feeling lace is going to be a real challenge for me.

I think my next post will be about a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment